Saturday, June 26, 2010

A place of our own

... for seven whole days!

We have an apartment in London for seven days! With a fridge and an oven and a cook top, which meant for the first time in over 50 days we went grocery shopping so we can make lunch and cook dinner. We did the shop earlier today and piled on cheese and bread and vegetables and I thought, oh dear this is so much food it's going to be like 70 pounds. It was 27. Bargain. I felt like we were stealing food.

It's our fifth anniversary tomorrow! That's pretty exciting.





Since the last time I put up a blog we've had a day in Bath and a day in Oxford.

Our day in Bath was a dream, we woke up early to get our Full English Breakfast (they are very pro-vegetarian here as everywhere has vegie options, including vegetarian sausages!). Bath had me disorientated, I'm in... England today?

From our five star guest house we strolled to the Roman Baths and spent an hour or so admiring the hot spring and trying to take in as much history as we could from our audio tour. This audio tour (you must have gathered by now that I'm a fan) had three options. One was normal audio tour, two was audio tour for children and the third was audio tour by Bill Bryson. I enjoyed his audio tour so much that I bought his book Notes from a small island. I started reading it and was laughing away for the first 50 pages or so, until he mentioned Princess Di and I realised that this book was written 17 years ago! Oh well, not a lot had changed.

On our Bath day, at around 5pm we made our way to the thermal spa, we purchased a two hour pass, which gave us access to a roof top pool, heated down stairs pool and four scented steam rooms. The whole experience was just delicious.

Ri and I darted from pool to pool to steam room to pool again. While other tourists lay in the water looking like they were concentrating on soaking up the thermal goodness, we collected pool noodles and splashed and laughed as we tried to stand on them under water.
The view from the roof top pool was amazing.

I'll blog about Oxford next time!

2 comments:

  1. Hi enjoying your blog so much. Cooking will be a real novelty and I imagine staying in the one place for 7 days will be bliss. Enjoy. Happy anniversary !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Meg!
    When Ri pulls his finger out a postcard may be in the mail soon...

    ReplyDelete