Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Paris in the summer time

Oh dear this may be a little appalling to some, but we leave Paris tomorrow and I don't think we actually stepped foot into any sort of tourist venue. No museums. No galleries. Did not even go to the top of the Eiffel tower.
We will be back in October.
It feels like we have had full and fun days. We did go to Versailles (it was closed), so we had free access to the gardens and made a day of that.
We've done a lot of eating. And a bit of shopping.
My poor Ri had one stressful night, when he was asked if he had heard from his work lately and that a friend of a friend of a friend heard his work place had gone bust. Given that Ri likes his job he was understandably distressed and wasn't calmed until the next day when he heard from some work mates that explained that they've actually won more work and also the reason why this rumour may have started.
And on the one hand I guess it is nice to know you have work to return to, but on the other hand I have a right mind to tell this friend their house burnt down/puppy died or something along those lines while they are on their honeymoon.
I digress, back to Paris, I don't hate it, but I can see why other French people do.
Ri was on the phone to his dad's wife ('stepmum?')and she asked him how he was enjoying Paris, he said it was good and she said that most people she ask say that they hate it.
This is a weird concept to me. It's Paris, a no-brainer. Everyone is suppose to love Paris.
On this trip I found Paris OK. I hate that everyone smokes. The views vary from amazingly beautiful to positively gross. The food has been pretty good, I've found being a vegetarian stressful, at one place I ended up with a Pizza covered in ham (ordered from a duel language menu!) because on this dish they only translated the vegetables - an omission on this dish only! The waiter helpfully pointed to the French side of the menu and said "that means ham." As he walked away I said to Ri 'that doesn't look anything like ham' (meaning the word, and most other meat words do look sort of like their English equal Boef-Beef) to which Ri responded 'yeah looked more like bacon.' (refering to the meat)
The weather puts Melbourne to shame. There was an incident where I called a few Parisian people Cretins (they don't appear to have the same level of manners we got used to seeing in the English).

When we return in October we plan to stay closer to the central area of Paris. We stayed pretty far away this time, meaning we needed to navigate the metro, and by staying near smoke stacks, it never felt like we were in Paris and that made it difficult to get motivated to organise anything...

Next time we will see the museums and galleries!

No comments:

Post a Comment